19 May 2017 | Ballina Rotary & Empire Vale Public School
Teacher Training | (left) Session One, February 2017, (right) Session 2, June 2017
8 June 2017 | Wollongbar Public School
27 July 2017 | Empire Vale Public School
The 1000 Words - Arts and Literacy program is an exciting new schools program being offered by Northern Rivers Community Gallery (NRCG). The program aims to implement creative ways for students to harness art’s potential and improve literacy outcomes through artistic discussions, creative writing and vocabulary enrichment.
Participating students will engage in hands-on learning such as imaginative writing, letters, plays and poems as well as descriptive and persuasive language activities inspired by original artworks from the Gallery’s annual exhibition program. A selection of student written work will then be showcased and exhibited alongside the original artwork as part of the Gallery’s monthly exhibition program.
Participation within the 1000 Words program will:
• enhance your students’ capacities to develop stories through appreciating art as a visual stimulus
• obtain a larger audience for your students’ written works
• provide a wealth of learning resources
• offer opportunities to develop and/or consolidate professional knowledge of both literacy and the arts
• establish professional partnerships within your learning community and local arts network
The 1000 Words program offers a wealth of learning resources, opportunities to develop and/or consolidate professional knowledge of both literacy and the arts as well as establish professional partnerships within your Learning Community and local arts network.
Participating schools include:
• Ballina Public School
• Broadwater Public School
• Burringbar Public School
• Byron Community Primary School
• Cabbage Tree Island Public School
• Emmanuel Anglican College
• Empire Vale Public School
• Evans River Community School
• Holy Family Catholic Primary School
• Rous Public School
• Tregeagle Public School
• Wardell Public School
• Wollongbar Public School
• Wyrallah Public School
• Ocean Shores Public School
• Bangalow Public School
This project is supported by Create NSW's Audience Development Fund, a devolved funding program administered by Museums & Galleries of NSW on behalf of the NSW Government.