Apply to Exhibit
Image Credit: Steve Waller
The Northern Rivers Community Gallery (NRCG) is housed in a heritage building, built in 1927 as the original Ballina Municipal Council Chambers. Our facility features four professional exhibition spaces with the ability to present a diverse exhibition program. NRCG works with both emerging and established artists to support professional development opportunities. The NRCG welcomes exhibition proposals from artists, designers, curators, community and cultural groups in all art forms including but not limited to: visual arts, sculpture, craft, design, digital media, performance, installation/site specific works and cultural heritage that display innovative ideas and approaches to contemporary arts practice. Exhibitions are generally rotated every four to six weeks.
Applications are accepted all year round and assessed once a year for the following year's exhibition period. Applications close at the end of August each year for the following year’s exhibition period. A Gallery Program panel will consider all applications received by the due date. All applicants will be advised in writing as to the outcome of their application a minimum of 10 weeks after the application closing date. If your application is successful, you will receive a letter with dates offered by the Gallery. The Gallery receives a large number of exhibition applications each round, unfortunately not all applications can be accommodated. Similarly due to wider Gallery programming not all space or date preferences will necessarily be offered to successful applicants.
Exhibition applications must include the following:
- A completed exhibition application form
- Exhibition rationale - limited to one A4 page
- Curriculum Vitae - limited to one A4 page for solo artist or three A4 pages for an artist group
- Up to 5 high resolution digital images (300dpi, 1-2MB) of recent work by each artist. Images may be provided on disc, via email or in hardcopy (applications supplied without visual material included will not be assessed)
- If exhibition proposed is to raise funds for a not-for-profit organisation, a fundraising outline must be attached detailing who / what the fundraising is for and how the funds will be raised
Selection is based on five key criteria:
- Clarity: Clear and cohesive exhibition rationale
- Innovation: High level of aesthetic values and understanding
- Quality: Examples of work that demonstrate experience in producing safe, high quality artworks to maintain public gallery standards
- Curatorial: Relevance to other exhibitions in adjoining spaces or wider Gallery programming
- Diversity: Preference will be given to applicants who have not exhibited within the previous twelve month period
Services included in the exhibition fees are:
- layout and installation of the exhibition
- curatorial advice and support
- management of artwork sales
- use of plinths and up to 2 x digital projectors with 2 channel Audio
- vinyl signage, artwork labels and room didactic panels
- printed exhibition flyers
- digital e-flyers
- promotion of the exhibition and a launch event
- supervision of the exhibition during gallery hours
Exhibitions can run for a minimum period of 4 weeks or maximum period of 6 weeks.
|Exhibition space||Area (floor)||Running meters (walls)||Cost / 4 weeks||Cost / 6 weeks|
|Gallery 1||Hanging Work only||17m approx||$240||$360|
|Gallery 2||35m2||13m approx||$500||$750|
|Gallery 3||12m2||7m approx||$195||$293|
|Gallery 4||70m2||24m approx||$650||$975|
|Entire Gallery||117m2||70m approx||$1,426||$2,139|
Note: Fees are subject to annual review by Ballina Shire Council
Gallery 1 and Foyer | 12m wall running | Hanging work only
Gallery 2 | 35m2 | 13m wall running
Gallery 3 | 12m2 | 7m wall running
Gallery 4 | 70m2 | 26m wall running
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2018 EXHIBITION PROGRAM ARE NOW CLOSED!
The NRCG welcomes exhibition proposals from artists, designers, curators, community and cultural groups in all art forms including but not limited to: visual arts, sculpture, craft, design, digital media, performance, installation/site specific works and cultural heritage that display innovative ideas and approaches to contemporary arts practice.
Applications are accepted all year round and assessed once a year for the following year's exhibition period. A Gallery Program panel will consider all applications received by the due date. All applicants will be advised in writing as to the outcome of their application a minimum of 10 weeks after the application closing date.
Applications for the 2018 Exhibition program are now closed. Applications closed on Wednesday 30 August 2017.
All applications received on or after Thursday 31 August 2017 will be considered for the 2019 Exhibition program.
You can download a PDF copy of the Exhibition Application Form here, or complete the online application below.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE ***
If submitting an application using the online form, you will receive an automated confirmation email if you application was sucessfully submitted. If you do not receive this confirmation email, please contact the Gallery.