Image Credit: Ignite Studios @ NRCG | former Ballina Fire Station
Ignite Studios @ NRCG is an extension of the Northern Rivers Community Gallery (NRCG), a community-engaged cultural hub in the Northern Rivers region, owned and operated by Ballina Shire Council.
Located in the heart of the Ballina CBD, adjacent to the NRCG and housed in the historic former Ballina Fire Station, Ignite Studios provides a dynamic shared access space supporting the development and participation of artistic pursuits. Facilities include four artist studios, a visiting artist-in-residence (AiR) studio and two access spaces for workshops, creative events, pop-up exhibitions, meetings and special projects.
This exciting new facility is scheduled to open February 2018!
The Northern Rivers Community (NRCG) is a community-engaged cultural hub in the Northern Rivers region that supports and develops cultural and artistic pursuits through accessible, innovative exhibitions, public programs, workshops and events.
The NRCG is housed in the historic former Ballina Municipal Council Chambers. Built in 1927, Ballina Shire Council renovated this building in 2007 to the highest standard in lighting, climate control and security. The NRCG features four exhibitions spaces with capability to present a broad range of professional multi-arts and cultural programs. Ignite Studios @ NRCG extends the Gallery facilities to offer a dynamic, new creative social space for residents and visitors alike.
ADAPTIVE REUSE - Former Ballina Fire Station
The beautiful, heritage listed permises were previously used as a Fire Station for approximately 80 years. The Ballina Fire Station operations relocated to new premises in 2015 and the former Ballina Fire Station at 60 Crane Street was then acquired by Ballina Shire Council.
Built in the same architectural style as the NRCG and located in the adjoing property, the former Ballina Fire Station provides an exeptional opportunity to expand the facility and services of NRCG. Temporary use of the building for a period of twelve months has been provided by the Council to trial utilising the premises as an extension of NRCG operations for a multi-disciplinary art space.
Refurbishment works are being carried out during 2016 for the adaptive re-use of the premises as a regional multi-disciplinary art space, celebrating the heritage values of the building and ongoing enjoyment of the facility for the whole community.
Ignite Studios offers two venues to support four activities for the growing demand of local arts and cultural activities. This includes Artist Studios; an Artist-in-Residence Space; Workshop Spaces and an experimental project space utilising the original ‘Engine Room’. The ‘Engine Room’ doubles as both an art education and an experimental art project space.
This project is supported by Create NSW's Arts and Cultural Projects funding.
The ‘Engine Room’ and the ‘Locker Room’ (floor plan reference - Workshop spaces #1 and #2) are dedicated workshop and/or project spaces available for hire when not in use for Gallery programs. The ‘Engine Room’ can also be utilised for other experimental or pop-up creative projects.
Bookings for short term hire of the workshop and project spaces will commence in February 2018.
Artist's Steve Waller and Imbi Davison | Making Marks in the Gallery 2016
The four Artist Studios (floor plan reference - Artist Studios #1 to #4) utilise the original residential living areas and range in size from 10m2 to 18m2. The Artist Studio spaces are available for a twelve month lease to creative practitioners from all disciplines, including but not limited to, painting, digital media, photography, design, craft, filmmaking, performance, sculpture and writing. Artists from Ballina Shire, Northern Rivers and across NSW are welcome to apply.
Applications are currently being invited for the Artist Studio program.
Applications are being accepted from 10 October 2017 to midnight Friday 1 December 2017 (AEST).
Studio tenancies commence from 5 January 2018 through to 4 January 2019.
STUDIO VISIT AND INFORMATION SESSION
An open studio visit and information session will be held on-site at Ignite Studios Saturday 25 November 2017 from 10am to 11am. This session is the applicant’s opportunity to view the facilities and ask any questions they may have about the studios and rental tenancy. BOOKINGS ESSENTIAL Click here
The Artist Studio Spaces at ‘Ignite Studios @ NRCG’ are designed to encourage co-working and an open platform for professional development and opportunity. Providing greater access to shared creative space in the Northern Rivers region, Ignite Studios aims to support makers and creative professionals working across various fields through:
- provision of professional workspaces
- enabling creative projects
- networking artists with arts influencers, local communities and peers through NRCG annual program
- building a hub for artistic practice and ideas
The focus of ‘Ignite Studios @ NRCG’ is on innovative arts and creative industry, including but not limited to painting, digital media, photography, design, craft, filmmaking, performance, sculpture, writing and other arts and cultural practitioners.
The four spaces pertaining to this application are designated as Studio #1 to Studio #4. Refer floor plan for facility layout.
* exception for high power consumption equipment such as kilns. Usage would be metered and charged at an additional cost based on monthly usage.
STUDIO RENTAL FEES
Studio rental is paid monthly in advance and a Direct Debit from a nominated bank account will be required to be set-up at time of signing the agreement. A security deposit of 4 weeks rent will be required.
Studio artists can access ‘The Locker Room’ and ‘The Engine Room’ for an additional fee when available.
|Studio #||Area (floor)||Size||Weekly Rental|
|Studio 1||14m2||3.6 x 4 Meters||$110|
|Studio 2||14m2||3.6 x 4 Meters||$110|
|Studio 3||18m2||4.8 x 3.8 Meters||$100|
|Studio 4||10m2||3.4 x 3 Meters||$70|
Note: Fees are subject to annual review by Ballina Shire Council
Successful applicants will be issued with a Studio Agreement governing all aspects of their access to the Ignite Studio facilities. Due to the heritage of the building, access and use will be in accordance with certain prescribed conditions for example drilling into, modifying or fixing on to the walls is prohibited. In addition to these conditions, the general terms of the agreement will include the following.
- The Renter will indemnify and keep indemnified Ballina Shire Council (and NRCG), its officers, agents and contractors against all liability for death or injury to persons or loss of or damage to property (including property of BSC and NRCG) and all actions, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses which may be suffered or sustained pursuant to their Studio Rental Agreement. This indemnity will also apply to any persons and property that is on site at Ignite Studios or NRCG as a consequence of the actions of the Renter either pursuant to or in breach of the conditions of their Studio Agreement.
- Renters are required to have their own Public Liability insurance with cover to the value of $20 million.
- The Renter agrees to comply with all necessary workplace health and safety laws and regulations.
- Access is available 24/7. Standard residential noise restrictions apply after 10pm seven days a week.
- Artist Studios are not open to the general public except for open days or special events specified and organised by NRCG.
- Renters are responsible for ensuring the premises are fully secure on leaving the facility, managing waste collection and for keeping their studio clean and tidy at all times.
- Renters are to work within their nominated studio unless an alternative arrangement has been made with NRCG management.
- Studios cannot be utilized for industrial or semi-industrial creative processes, retail sales outlet, public events and unlicensed alcohol sales.
Applications are open to:
- Artists from all disciplines, including but not limited to, painting, digital media, photography, filmmaking, performance, sculpture, craft, design and writing
- Artists from Ballina, Northern Rivers and across NSW are welcome to apply
- Artists from all career-stages
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or above
- Post-graduate students are eligible to apply. Applications from undergraduate students are not eligible
Final selections will be made balancing a mix of art forms, career stage and studio experience within the facility, in order to encourage diversity and a vibrant creative hub encouraging dialogue, exchange and innovation.
- Quality of work and originality of ideas.
- Value of a studio to the development of the artist/s.
- Value of contribution to the artist community and public program of Ignite Studios & the Ballina Shire.
- Suitability of art form for a studio space.
- Commitment of time to using the studio.
Allocation of studios will be undertaken by a Selection Committee established by Northern Rivers Community Gallery. The Committee includes a practising artist, the Gallery Coordinator, an external arts industry representative and a Ballina Shire Council representative.
Applicants will be notified of results via email by 15 December 2017 and artists will have the option to accept or decline the offer.
Completing this Application does not obligate you to accept a studio and it also does not guarantee that you will be offered a studio. Applicants for studios may be required to attend an interview as part of the assessment of their application.
INFORMATION: Artist Studio Information
APPLY NOW: Artist Studio Application
The Artist-in-Residence Studio (floor plan reference - AiR) provides a residential and separate studio space to visiting artists from outside the region (national or international). The program provides a single artist dedicated time to focus on the development of their creative practice or a specific project. Two AiR’s would take place within a 12 month period for a minimum of four weeks and up to a maximum of eight weeks length of time.
The Artist-in-Residence program will commence later in 2018.