JOIN OUR VOLUNTEERS
Volunteering is a fantastic opportunity to develop and further your skills, support your studies, meet arts industry contacts and immerse yourself in all things art.
The Gallery is currently recruiting for Friday and Weekend shifts.
Overview of the Northern Rivers Community Gallery
The Northern Rivers Community Gallery (NRCG) is located on the corner of Cherry and Crane Streets, Ballina. We are open 10.00am to 4.00pm Wednesday to Friday, 9.30am to 1.00pm Saturday and Sunday and closed public holidays.
The NRCG provides a professional exhibition space and arts and culture program of events within the Ballina Shire. NRCG also stocks a range of high quality local hand made products for sale through the Gallery shop.
Our Volunteers provide front of house service and are the first point of contact for visitors to the Gallery. Gallery Volunteers must be personable, knowledgeable and/or willing to learn about artists and current exhibitions and enjoy meeting and interacting with people. NRCG Volunteers are integral in promoting gallery programming and are responsible for monitoring and keeping artwork safe while the gallery is open.
Gallery Volunteers may assist with the physical installation of exhibitions and/or special events. This may include packaging of artworks that have been sold during an exhibition, assisting the installation team during bump-in and/or bump-out of exhibitions or providing a meet and greet role at launch events.
Volunteers are required to commit to a minimum of two shifts per month. An average shift is four to five hours in duration. Shifts that are five hours or longer warrant a 30 minute lunch break. We are currently recruiting for weekend volunteers only. Weekend shifts run from 9:30am – 1:00pm.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Greet visitors to the Gallery
• Attend to enquiries in person, over phone and via email from internal and external customers in a prompt, professional and courteous manner
• Effectively communicate with exhibitors and visitors to NRCG
• Process gallery sales
• Ability to sell artwork and shop products via the Gallery sales order system
• Provide support to the Gallery Coordinator or as directed by Council staff
• Assist with the reconciliation of sales and receipting
• Ensure all brochures on display are current, appealing and take appropriate action to update where required
• During regular hours and special events ensure the gallery and display areas are clean and visitors to NRCG follow house rules
• Adhere to and assist with the review and monitoring of NRCG policies and procedures
• Project a professional public image by being courteous and dealing effectively with the public
• Undertake surveys and analysis work at Council funded events
• Assist event organisers to coordinate their event being held at NRCG when required.
• Knowledge of or interest in arts and culture
• Experience in the operation of the Microsoft Office suite and relevant technology
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to negotiate and consult through effective written and verbal communication
• The ability to develop practical solutions to daily work issues
• Excellent customer service skills
• Willingness to learn about arts and culture
• Enjoy working as part of a team
• Good eye for detail and ability to develop appealing shop displays, experience working with merchandise.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please download the NRCG Volunteer Information Package and the Volunteer Registration Form below for information on the role and how to apply.
Further information contact the Gallery on ph. 02 6681 0530.