Apply to Exhibit
Image Credit: Steve Waller
The Northern Rivers Community Gallery (NRCG) is housed in a heritage building, built in 1927 as the original Ballina Municipal Council Chambers. Our facility features four professional exhibition spaces with the ability to present a diverse exhibition program. NRCG works with both emerging and established artists to support professional development opportunities. The NRCG welcomes exhibition proposals from artists, designers, curators, community and cultural groups in all art forms including but not limited to: visual arts, sculpture, craft, design, digital media, performance, installation/site specific works and cultural heritage that display innovative ideas and approaches to contemporary arts practice. Exhibitions are rotated every eight weeks.
Applications are accepted all year round and assessed once a year for the following year's exhibition period. Applications close at the end of August each year for the following year’s exhibition period. A Gallery Program panel will consider all applications received by the due date. All applicants will be advised in writing as to the outcome of their application a minimum of 10 weeks after the application closing date. If your application is successful, you will receive a letter with dates offered by the Gallery. The Gallery receives a large number of exhibition applications each round, unfortunately not all applications can be accommodated. Similarly due to wider Gallery programming not all space or date preferences will necessarily be offered to successful applicants.
Exhibition applications must include the following:
- A completed exhibition application form
- Exhibition rationale - limited to one A4 page
- Curriculum Vitae - limited to one A4 page for solo artist or three A4 pages for an artist group
- Up to 5 high resolution digital images (300dpi, 1-2MB) of recent work by each artist. Images may be provided on disc, via email or in hardcopy (applications supplied without visual material included will not be assessed)
- If exhibition proposed is to raise funds for a not-for-profit organisation, a fundraising outline must be attached detailing who / what the fundraising is for and how the funds will be raised
Selection is based on five key criteria:
- Clarity: Clear and cohesive exhibition rationale
- Innovation: High level of aesthetic values and understanding
- Quality: Examples of work that demonstrate experience in producing safe, high quality artworks to maintain public gallery standards
- Curatorial: Relevance to other exhibitions in adjoining spaces or wider Gallery programming
- Diversity: Preference will be given to applicants who have not exhibited within the previous twelve month period
Services included in the exhibition fees are:
- layout and installation of the exhibition
- curatorial advice and support
- management of artwork sales
- use of plinths and up to 2 x digital projectors with 2 channel Audio
- vinyl signage, artwork labels and room didactic panels
- printed exhibition flyers
- digital e-flyers
- promotion of the exhibition and a launch event
- supervision of the exhibition during gallery hours
All exhibitions run for a period of 8 weeks.
|Exhibition space||Area (floor)||Running meters (walls)||Cost / 8 weeks 2020|
|Gallery 1||Hanging Work only||17m approx||$250|
|Gallery 2||35m2||13m approx||$520|
|Gallery 3||12m2||7m approx||$200|
|Gallery 4||70m2||24m approx||$675|
|Entire Gallery||117m2||70m approx||$1,480|
Note: Fees are subject to annual review by Ballina Shire Council
Gallery 1 and Foyer | 12m wall running | Hanging work only
Gallery 2 | 35m2 | 13m wall running
Gallery 3 | 12m2 | 7m wall running
Gallery 4 | 70m2 | 26m wall running
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2020 EXHIBITION PROGRAM ARE NOW CLOSED AND ARE CURRENTLY UNDER REVIEW. RESULTS FROM THE 2020 APPLICATION ROUND WILL BE RELEASED PRIOR TO THE END OF 2019.
ALL APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED ON OR AFTER 1 SEPTEMBER 2019 WILL BE REVIEWED FOR THE 2021 EXHIBITION PROGRAM.
The NRCG welcomes exhibition proposals from artists, designers, curators, community and cultural groups in all art forms including but not limited to: visual arts, sculpture, craft, design, digital media, performance, installation/site-specific works and cultural heritage that display innovative ideas and approaches to contemporary art practice.
Applications are accepted all year round and assessed once a year for the following year's exhibition period. A Gallery Program panel will consider all applications received by the due date. All applicants will be advised in writing as to the outcome of their application a minimum of 10 weeks after the application closing date.
Applications for the 2021 Exhibition program are now open. Applications close midnight Monday 31 August 2020.
All applications received on or after Sunday 1 September 2019 will be considered for the 2021 Exhibition program.
You can download a PDF copy of the Exhibition Application Form here, or complete the online application below.
Please note: The exhibition program for 2020 is finalised and no further applications will be considered for exhibitions in 2020.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE ***
If submitting an application using the online form, you will receive an automated confirmation email if your application was successfully submitted. If you do not receive this confirmation email, please contact the Gallery.