This week's feature is Olive & the Volcano!
1. Who are you and what do you do? Olive & The Volcano is a multidisciplinary letterpress & print studio. We handcraft letterpress paper-goods and accessories with the help of a band of vintage presses and machinery and other local artisans. We also print custom letterpress projects for other artists, businesses and the public.
2. How do you choose your materials? Our wholesale range of paper-goods is inspired by gestural mark-making and nature. The work is influenced by the poetic, the romantic, the contemporary and the beautiful. We often work with imagery that is rich with personal and universal stories and what it is to be human.
3. What is your creative process like? There are two of us in the studio and our creative processes are quite different. Jo is very hands on and mark making focused, she works in the early morning and writing is an integral part of her creative process. Andy is more illustration based and loves a brief to work to. He is a late creator and prefers working by hand first and then manipulates his images via the computer.
4. What's the best piece of advice that you've been given? Saying no to one thing, is saying yes to another. Best advice ever received!
5. What couldn't you live without? Art supplies and beautiful paper. Making and creating is an essential part of who we are, we are much happier people and better parents when we have the freedom to create and express who we are via story, imagery and process.
You can find Olive & the Volcano's products at the NRCG shop.