Studio detail - Janet Vandenberg (left) | Studio Open Day - Pop-Up Exhibition, Lesley Ryan & Melissa Wright 2018 (right)
The three studio spaces (floor plan reference - Studios #1, #2 and #4) utilise the original residential living areas and range in size from 10m2 to 18m2. The studio spaces are available for a twelve month lease to creative practitioners from all disciplines, including but not limited to: painting, craft, digital media, photography, film, independant creative industry, arts administrators, curators, design, performance, sculpture and writing. Practitioners from Ballina Shire, Northern Rivers and across NSW are welcome to apply.
*** APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN FOR 2019 ***
Studio tenancies available early Februrary 2019 for a twelve month period with option to renew.
The subsidised studio spaces at Ignite Studios @ NRCG are designed to encourage co-working and an open platform for professional development and opportunity. Providing greater access to shared creative space in the Northern Rivers region, Ignite Studios aims to support and nurture innovative arts and creative industry through:
- provision of subsidised workspaces
- enabling creative projects and/or creative start-ups
- networking artists with arts influencers, local communities and peers through NRCG annual program
- building a hub for creative industry and ideas
The three spaces pertaining to this application are designated as Studio #1, Studio #2 and Studio #4. Refer floor plan for facility layout.
* exception for high power consumption equipment such as kilns. Usage would be metered and charged at an additional cost based on monthly usage.
STUDIO RENTAL FEES
Studio rental is paid monthly in advance and a Direct Debit from a nominated bank account will be required to be set-up at time of signing the agreement. A security deposit of 4 weeks rent will be required.
Studio artists can access ‘The Locker Room’ and ‘The Engine Room’ for an additional fee when available.
|Studio #||Area (floor)||Size||Weekly Rental|
|Studio 1||14m2||3.6 x 4 Meters||$110|
|Studio 2||14m2||3.6 x 4 Meters||$110|
|Studio 4||10m2||3.4 x 3 Meters||$70|
Note: Fees are subject to annual review by Ballina Shire Council
Successful applicants will be issued with a Studio Agreement governing all aspects of their access to the Ignite Studio facilities. Due to the heritage of the building, access and use will be in accordance with certain prescribed conditions for example drilling into, modifying or fixing on to the walls is prohibited. In addition to these conditions, the general terms of the agreement will include the following.
- The Renter will indemnify and keep indemnified Ballina Shire Council (and NRCG), its officers, agents and contractors against all liability for death or injury to persons or loss of or damage to property (including property of BSC and NRCG) and all actions, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses which may be suffered or sustained pursuant to their Studio Rental Agreement. This indemnity will also apply to any persons and property that is on site at Ignite Studios or NRCG as a consequence of the actions of the Renter either pursuant to or in breach of the conditions of their Studio Agreement.
- Renters are required to have their own Public Liability insurance with cover to the value of $20 million.
- The Renter agrees to comply with all necessary workplace health and safety laws and regulations.
- Access is available 24/7. Standard residential noise restrictions apply after 10pm seven days a week.
- Artist Studios are not open to the general public except for open days or special events specified and organised by NRCG.
- Renters are responsible for ensuring the premises are fully secure on leaving the facility, managing waste collection and for keeping their studio clean and tidy at all times.
- Renters are to work within their nominated studio unless an alternative arrangement has been made with NRCG management.
- Studios cannot be utilized for industrial or semi-industrial creative processes, retail sales outlet, public events and unlicensed alcohol sales.
Applications are open to:
- Creative practitioners from all disciplines, including but not limited to painting, craft, digital media, photography, sculpture, performance, film, music, design, arts administrators, curators and writers.
- Small independant creative industry (such as film, design, music, archtitechture, arts administrators, curators etc)
- Artists from Ballina, Northern Rivers and across NSW are welcome to apply
- Artists from all career-stages
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or above
- Post-graduate students are eligible to apply. Applications from undergraduate students are not eligible
Final selections will be made balancing a mix of art forms, career stage and studio experience within the facility, in order to encourage diversity and a vibrant creative hub encouraging dialogue, exchange and innovation.
- Quality of work or projects and originality of ideas.
- Value of a studio to the development of the practitioner/s.
- Value of contribution to the creative community and public program of Ignite Studios & the Ballina Shire.
- Suitability of art form for a studio space.
- Commitment of time to using the studio.
Allocation of studios will be undertaken by a Selection Committee established by Northern Rivers Community Gallery. The Committee includes the Gallery Coordinator, an external arts industry representative and a Ballina Shire Council representative.
Applications close 31 January 2019 and will be notified shortly after - applicants will have the option to accept or decline the offer.
Completing this Application does not obligate you to accept a studio and it also does not guarantee that you will be offered a studio. Applicants for studios may be required to attend an interview as part of the assessment of their application.
INFORMATION: Studio Space Information
APPLICATION: Studio Space Application